🠈 Wikipedia 🠊
My Comments on Wikipedia
Back in the 1980s, I began developing an electronic Encyclopedia. I was using the Advanced Revelation Database engine. Unfortunately, I was unable to find anyone interested in the project.
There was actually a large number of groups developing similar programs in the 1980s and 1990s. I developed a version of my design using the ORACLE database engine, but ORACLES licensing system prevented me from pursuing that route.
Anyway, In 2000, Jimmy Wales, Larry Sanger launched a pathetic file based encyclopedia called Nupedia. At the request of Richard Stallman the company adopted the GNU license and then began publishing Wikipedia.com.
Jumping on the anti-capitalism band wagon. Wikipedia took a pledge against commerce and moved to the domain wikipedia.org. Instead of ads, Wikipedia sports pathetic fundraising campaigns where they beg the user's for money.
Wikipedia effectively destroyed the ability of other companies to fund their historical research projects. The online world is actually worse off today as a result of the project.
As Wikipedia is maintained by people with a left leaning view, the web site is notorious for its left leaning bias. The site is often used to spin historical events and influence election campaigns.
Bias Against Small Business
I am very much interested in the plight of small business in America. Although the failing small business sector still plays a small role in local communities, small businesses are completely ignored by Wikipedia.
The Name Problem
Wikipedia is a text-based medium. As a result it uses branded names as the entry point for all if its articles.
The poor design of Wikipedia creates a big program. Whenever a group changes its name, the authors at Wikipedia delete the page for the old name. This created huge discontinuities in the presentation of history.
- The Chart House became a huge corporation that bought Godfather's Pizza. Wikipedia editors deleted the page about the company after it was acquired by Landry. This caused a discontinuity in the history of multiple restaurants.
- They deleted a page for Versa Capital Management this company is part of the merger chain of Eastern Mountain Sports, Sports Chalet, Bell and Howell, Black Angus and many small stores. Deleting the page destroyed the merger chains.
- Wiki deleted the page for Saga Corporation which was a huge food service group that acquired several restaurant chains.
- Wiki deleted page for American Restaurant Group which is part of merger chain for numerous restaurants.
- Wiki removed information about the creation of the FSLIC by FDR in 1934. I guess it is an embarrassment to Democrats.
Pages Deleted by Wikipedia
Here I will rant about pages deleted by Wikipedia.